Down In History: The Best Of MLB’s 2011 Season
The 2011 MLB season began Thursday, March 31, 2011 and ended Wednesday, September 28, 2011.
- 1976 was the last time a Major League Baseball season because on a Thursday.
- The 107th World Series:
- Began Wednesday, October 19th and ended Monday, October 28th.
- Was played between the Texas Rangers and St. Louis Cardinals.
- Cardinals had the home advantage.
- Game 1: Played on October 19th, 2011 at Busch Stadium; Cardinals won, 3-2.
- Game 2: Played on October 20th, 2011 at Busch Stadium; Rangers won, 2-1.
- Game 3: Played on October 22nd, 2011 at the Rangers’ Ballpark; Cardinals won, 16-7.
- Albert Pujols of the Cardinals joined Babe Ruth and Reggie Jackson as the only players to ever hit three home runs in a World Series game.
- Game 4: Played on October 23rd, 2011 at the Rangers’ Ballpark; Rangers won, 4-0.
- Game 5: Played on October 24th, 2011 at the Rangers’ Ballpark; Rangers won, 4-2.
- Game 6: Played on October 27th, 2011 at Busch Stadium; Cardinals won, 10-9.
- The game went into overtime, and Cardinals won. Rangers were one strike away from winning the series twice when the Cardinals erased two-run deficits.
- Game 7: Played on October 28th, 2011 at Busch Stadium; Cardinals won,6-2.
- The Division Series:
- New York Yankees (1) v. Detroit Tigers (3); Detroit won in a 3-2 series.
- Texas Rangers (2) v. Tampa Bay Rays (4); Texas won in a 3-1 series.
- Philadelphia Phillies (1) v. St. Louis Cardinals (4); St. Louis won in a 3-2 series.
- Milwaukee Brewers (3) v. Arizona Diamondbacks (2); Milwaukee won in a 3-2 series.
- League Championship Series
- American League: Detroit Tigers v. Texas Rangers; Rangers win in a 4-2 series.
- National League: St. Louis Cardinals v. Milwaukee Brewers; Brewers win in a 4-2 series.
- According to Nadia Mishkinof the Bleacher Report, the 2011 season finale was the best in history.
Angels v. Mariners, Trayvon Robinson Catch:
Giants v. Phillies, Eli Whitefield Catch:
The following is the list of the best teams of 2011:
- Arizona Diamondbacks
- Atlanta Braves
- Boston Red Sox
- Detroit Tigers
- Milwaukee Brewers
- New York Yankees
- Philadelphia Phillies
- St. Louis Cardinals
- Tampa Bay Rays
- Texas Rangers
Leading Players of 2011
- Hitting: Lance Berkman, St. Louis Cardinals.
- Pitching: Derek Holland, Texas Rangers.
- Fielding: Adrian Beltre, Texas Rangers.
Awesome 2011 Plays
Gina Williams is a guest post and article writer bringing to ushistorical occurrences that took place during the 2011 Major League Baseball season.
Gina also writes about motorcycle accidents.