Fantasy Baseball Disabled List Notes
Pitchers are coming out and throwing hard early on this season. Unfortunately for some of them, their hard throwing has led to stints on the disabled list.
Two star pitchers recently landed on the DL:
- Seattle Mariners closer J.J. Putz was placed on the 15-day DL Tuesday with inflamed rib cartilage. This certainly hurts your team’s relief pitching, as Putz is highly regarded as the top closer in fantasy baseball. The Mariners are not commenting on a timetable for return, which should cause some concern. Inflamed rib cartilage sounds like a nagging injury to the Dugout.
- New York Mets starter Pedro Martinez has taken his usual spot on your DL after straining his left hamstring. He will miss about 4-6 weeks.
On the other side of things, several pitchers who landed on the DL during spring training are now on their way off the shelf to help your team (and make you look like a genius for taking them in your draft).
- Boston Red Sox ace Josh Beckett is expected to make his season debut Sunday.
- Anaheim Angels ace John Lackey is playing long toss and throwing off a mound. He will be re-evaluated next week when the Angels return from their current road trip.
- Tampa Bay Rays ace Scott Kazmir is scheduled to throw a bullpen session Saturday after logging a successful 13-minute bullpen session on Wednesday. Kazmir should return by the end of the month.
- Milwaukee Brewers pitcher Yovanni Gallardo will pitch a scheduled rehab start in AAA on Friday and should be back with the big league club by Fantasy Week 3.
- New York Yankees starter Andy Pettitte will make his season debut Saturday.
- Arizona Diamondbacks future Hall-Of-Famer Randy Johnson is throwing at AAA and should join the Dbacks by the end of next week.
- Philadelphia Phillies closer Brad Lidge will come off the DL Saturday and is currently pitching in Class A ball.
- Toronto Blue Jays closer BJ Ryan is looking return by the middle of April and is currently working in Class AAA.